Instant-Grid version 1.1
Submitted by grid on Tue, 19/02/2008 - 13:50.
Instant-Grid version 1.1 is now based on the current Knoppix 5.1.1 (Linux live CD) and therefore supports more recent hardware. Globus Toolkit 4.0.3 is still used as middleware.
The most important further changes are better internationalization, an improved testing environment, additional support for the cluster setup, and enhanced stability of the workflow engine.
- The grid workflow manager GWES has been updated to a more stable version.
- As a simple overall test of instant-grid, and to get better feedback about problems with Instant-Grid, we introduced a test script that automatically checks most of the basic cluster and grid middleware components.
- The portreport has been completely rewritten. There now is a separated port test configuration for the clients and the server and it is better integrated into the web interface.
- In order to permit setting up an external network after startup, for example because it failed during the boot process, a new tool has been included into the menu bar. On the clients this requires using "sudo pump" afterwards.
- In order to improve usability for non german users the default language of the boot menu and the boot keyboard layout was changed to english.
- Most descriptions and documentation in Instant-Grid are available in English now.
- The boot help screens are now shown on the clients as well.
- Missing man pages have been added.
- The free Flash player produces some display errors with our movies. If you want to use the Adobe Flash player, follow these instructions, please (you need an Internet connection):
- Open a terminal and enter:
sudo rm /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libflash-mozplugin.so
- Restart Firefox.
- Click on a Flash movie and follow the instructions for installing the plugin.
- If possible, we recommend to use eth0 (i.e., the first network interface) for the Internet connection. Other configurations work as well, but there may be some smaller problems, for example long waiting times during boot and connection errors in Coccinella.